November 27, 2019

Interview with Bikerush – “The community I have on Twitch is like my family”

If you looked at the ladder top rankings (especially GDI), you will have spotted a player called “BIKERUSHOWNZ” at the top of the ranking quite regularly in the recent year. Jake aka Bikerush hails from England and isn’t just capable of winrates beyond 95%, but also is a proliferate Rivals streamer, YouTuber and tournament organizer / caster. The Englishman is famous for his emotional commentary and flamboyant personality.

Bikerush pissing all over his opponents

Q: Hey Bikerush! Thanks for taking the time to do this interview. Before you started playing Rivals, you were already well known in the Command & Conquer scene for being a top player in C&C 3: Kane’s Wrath. Can you tell us a bit about your history? What brought you to multiplayer games, and what was your journey to become one of the best at the games you played?

Bikerush: Hello! No problem. Well, I started playing C&C very young. I had two brothers who played C&C with me when I was younger, and they always wrecked me in the game — feelsbadman. The times when you had to use split screen and promise not to look at the other person's half of the screen — we all did of course. Was fun!

Command & Conquer was always a big part of my life. In prior games, I was on pro level in C&C 3 and then later Kane’s Wrath. What some people also don’t know about me is that Ii was a top player also in Dawn of War 3, Grey Goo and other RTS I enjoy playing.

So family brought me to multiplayer. Watching my brothers play Age of Empires. My journey is to become one of the best at the games I play through many hours of practice & fun.


Q: Let’s stick a bit with your time before Rivals. Can you share some footage from that time and the other games? What were your biggest successes?

Bikerush: I won 45 tournaments in Kane’s Wrath alone. As its so many, it’s easier to link this overview of my tourmament wins that to list them here. A good example would be my 2017 World Cup win in Kane’s Wrath where I won 4-0 against “Technique” (who is the player who won the 2nd most tournaments all-time). Here’s the video:


And here’s a nice Dawn of War 3 game that was casted, where I play against “Galahad”:


But my biggest success is my community. I used to stream to 4 viewers and had 10 followers. Now have I have more than 13k followers and a much better viewing base on my stream. It’s a dream come true. I love this community. I love to see people enjoy my streams. It’s nice to make people happy, even if it’s just for a minute.


Q: Now, you’re playing Rivals more than Kane’s Wrath, and you’re not just one of the best players, but also one of the most popular streamers and YouTubers for Rivals. Can you tell us a bit about your streaming schedule on Twitch and why people should definitely follow you there?

Bikerush: I wouldn't say I'm one of the best to be fair. I do not practice enough at even levels for that. I probably I could be one of the best if I really wanted to, but I don’t enjoy the practice as much. I generally have more fun just playing and streaming ranked/ladder and events and tournaments.

I stream quite regularly playing ladder, events, and now also casting tourmaments!

Bikerush casting the grand finals AliciaDestiny vs ThxForMMR

Q: Through being a streamer, you also started to cast and organize Rivals tournaments. You saved the cast of Gizarius' first big tournament , and then organized the second. Now, the qualifiers to your third have started. What’s your goal with these tournaments?

Bikerush: lmao yeah Gizarius’ first big tournament was cool. Don’t get me wrong — but oh boi, they got wasted! I feel like you need one alive caster lmao. I wouldn't say I saved it, but gave a helping hand towards my good friend Gizarius. The second tournament was super fun to cast, but all the credit goes to Gizarius for providing the prize pool. I was just helping him out.

Highlight reel of Gizarius' & Bikerush’s second tournament, the Rivals World Cup

As for my goal? I don’t really have one to be honest. I know that sounds silly. If there was a goal, it’s to give back to the community that has been so generous to me. And to make people happy who watch the tournament.

Here’s some info on the current tournament I started to organize and cast/stream, the C&C Rivals Pro League:


Q: You can’t play the tournaments you cast yourself. But there’s others. When do we see you win your next Rivals tournament, transferring your dominant win percentages from ladder to the competitive circuit?

Bikerush: Yeah shame that. I think in the last tournaments I beat AliciaDestiny & other good players, and then lost to 13lade’s meta Nod deck (Fanatic Aggro), due to me not really understanding the full build he used. And yet again that comes down to no practice. I just show up and see what happens. I feel like playing gdi was a disadvantage in even levels due to Fanatic & Scorpion. But now the Razorback comes out, like brah where was that a few months back when I needed it!   The last tournament I actually practiced for was a while back and I won the finals 4-2 vs StrikerVX.


Q: You’re quite a colorful personality on your stream. Even without your black kitty. How much of the real Bikerush do we see there? What’s one thing people might not know about you even if they watched your stream often?

Bikerush: That’s 100% me. Ii have no filter. I say stupid things sometimes. I maybe act like a little bit like a child sometimes, that's probably just me having a bad day – we all have them. But normally, I’m easy going. As long as you are nice to me, I’ll be nice to you. Unless you laser drone rush me -_-. But i’m always happy to see new people and chat to my family. The community I have on Twitch is like my family.

Q: Back to Rivals: On the Rivals ladder, you often play decks outside of the main meta, e.g. MG and Grenadiers. Do you think these units are underestimated, or are these decks just fun for you to play?

Bikerush: I think my levels with GDI help insanely to have such a high winrate, especially with MGs. But I feel like my ladder decks work very good vs a lot of meta players. I think people do underestimate MGs and Grenadiers hardcore. Admittedly, at even levels MGs suck lmao, but at level 15, ooo boi. Grenadiers are an insane unit, always have been. Especially after they got that buff in September. But I also always try play some decks for fun, like 6 tech with 69% winrate – nice.


Q: What’s your favorite opponent(s) to play against, and why?

Bikerush: Suzaku. I hated this guy at the start, due to his rushes. Funny that the guy who all-in bikerushed people for years (me) getting mad about getting bike rushed lmao. But now I am very good friends with Suzaku & we have a lot of epic games.

Also Nukin, just to see him rage.


Q: If you had one wish for the devs, what would it be? Balance-wise, or other.

Bikerush: Please support the Rivals community!



Q: Thank you, Bikerush! Any famous last words?

Bikerush: And thanks to anyone for taking their time to read this.  Don't be afraid to speak the truth.  Life’s short man, have a good one! :) 

Also, let’s not forget EA did something good after all, big thanks to Niivalue, Nivmett, Greg Black and Alex Hetu from Redwood / EA!

Plus, I’m looking forward to this one: Command & Conquer Remastered!

No comments:

Post a Comment